In the hope that you and I will not add to the number of turkeys present at our Thanksgiving feasts, here are my Top Ten Tips for not sprouting feathers on Thursday.
- Ask other people about their life more than you talk about yours.
- Say, “It’s good to see you,” instead of, “Wow, you’ve really gained weight.”
- Ask the host(s) periodically, “May I be helpful in some way?”
- Say, “You look fantastic” instead of, “Wow, you’ve lost a lot of weight.”
- Ask someone in a painful life circumstance, “How are you doing these days?” Most people appreciate the inquiry, even if they choose not to share.
- Cut up your food, not people.
- Advocate for children who are uncomfortable with hugs and kisses.
- Stay away from turkeys in the room – except the bird on your plate.
- If you become a turkey, apologize and eat humble pie.
- Most important: Put a pebble in your pocket and, each time you touch it, give thanks for something in your life. Gratitude is the best antidote for feathers.
Photo credit: Hey Paul @ Creative Commons